The Greatest Gift of All

The Greatest Gift of All

Life experiences in a sketchbook Saturday evening’s campfire was especially GRAND! We are experiencing mild weather in December this year, and it was fun to have nice cup of Eggnog with friends around the campfire without freezing! Eggnog warms the spirit and reminds me that it’s the holiday season. This is the time of year when we reflect on our goals, past and future. We also give thanks and recognize good friends who are around the campfire and also, those who I see weekly in my classes, in workshops, and those who I coach remotely, as well as all of you who take the time to read my Saturday Campfire Chats. I especially want to extend my thanks to all my loyal friends who support me in making THE GRAND VIEW successful, as well as making my classes and my life possible. (You all know who you are!) I am so grateful to have you in my life.

An original Baumann oil painting.... 

While sipping on my eggnog and watching the fire, I began reflecting on how I could give a special gift to everyone who is in my life; to those who read my blog, who watch my videos and PBS TV shows, who attend my workshops and classes, and to those I coach. I realize that I just don't have enough stamps to send everyone an original Baumann oil painting. After much consideration, I concluded that the greatest gift I could wish for you is for you to have your own sketchbook and make a commitment to use it each and every day.

 “Sketchbooks and the Artist” 

Artists haven’t always carried their paints and canvas with them on their travels. The practice of painting on location via plein air is a relatively new concept in the history of painting. Many artists prefer the traditional method of sketching their experiences in a sketchbook. Artists can draw models or objects of interest, jot down notes and observations about the subject’s shape, color and unique features, as well as working on ideas for upcoming paintings in their sketchbooks. In this painting, “Curious Bear,” I worked from a sketch that I drew of the bear that visited our campsite. Having only seconds to jot down ideas, I worked on an idea for a painting from my sketch notes drawn the following day after I learned that this bear was shot and killed. This is an example of why it is essential for artists to always have a sketchbook and a pencil or pen to sketch and write their notes and observations.

Don’t think of your sketchbook as a holy relic

I recommend using a book that has about 50 sheets of plain paper with a spiral spine, and I urge artists to carry it with them everywhere. Make a point to draw at least three sketches in it everyday, and use it for everything from ideas for your next painting to making your shopping lists. It is not practical to invest in expensive journals with upgraded paper and leather binding that displays the artist’s name in gold leaf. Although these can be impressive, the fancy journals are intimidating and rarely, if ever, used. Don’t think of your sketchbook as a holy relic. It is just a book with pieces of paper. The real value is not the book itself; it is using its pages to practice your sketching and to journal what you are thinking and feeling each day about the world around you, with the possibility of capturing a precious moment that later can become your next great painting.

Greatest Gift Of All! 


Please enjoy every precious day, both as an artist and as a human being. The greatest gift there is, is life itself, and with all the drama that this world is going through, it’s easy to forget that having the gift of life and living your life as an artist is the Greatest Gift Of All! I wish you all the wonderful artful days to come this year as we look forward to 2018. May every day of the coming year be filled with Love and Art and may you experience the joy of finding your own Grand View.
Stefan The eyes of the world are waiting to see what you have to say. I have coached many students over the years. My goal as a coach is to help students discover their own style by instructing with a method that allows them to grow as they are. If you want increase your knowledge and skill to bring your art to the next level, I invite you to watch my YouTube videos, consider phone coaching with me, or attend a workshop in Mt. Shasta where we discuss art, passion and life with other artists around the campfire. All the information is on my website, www.stefanbaumann.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Your Art Out to the Public, Part 1 So, you want to be an artist…Don’t just sit there… Do something!

Painting - The Magic of Edges